When faced with a problem, it’s easy to get sidetracked into focusing on superficial metrics or jump to conclusions, especially when it involves what appears to be a quick fix. Instead, marketers need to look beyond the obvious and easy, and ask deeper questions about email performance like:
- What’s the core driver of the issue?
- Are there multiple issues at work here?
- What levers can I pull to mitigate or accelerate what’s happening?
- What’s the best way to test my theories to come to a clear course of action?
In this post by Clint Kaiser, Head of Strategic Services for Oracle Marketing Cloud Consulting, he breaks down some common email performance problems where it’s easy to misidentify the symptoms as the core problem rather than asking more questions and properly identifying the root cause. For instance, he discusses how to diagnose problems like…
- “My open rates are bad and getting worse.”
- “My click rates are bad and getting worse.”
- “Inbox providers keep blocking or bulking my emails.”
- “I have a lot of never-actives.”
For Clint’s recommendations on how to approach these email performance problems…